Monday 8 March 2010

An instant dislike

Betty and I went to Sainsburys the other morning. I was pushing her along in a trolley down the dairy aisle and she was merrily humming and talking about aubergines, when a man walked past us. When he was about a foot away from us, she suddenly bellowed ‘NO NO NO NO NO YOU ARE A VERY SILLY MAN’ right in his face.

I turned to look at him to apologise but he, looking visibly shaken and a deep shade of purple, was staring hard at the yoghurts. So rather than embarrass him further by trying to speak to him (and I was pretty bloody embarrassed at this point too), I very loudly reprimanded Betty and told her that it was unacceptable to talk to an innocent shopper, and one that she had never seen before in her life, like that.

However, as if I, or the man, hadn’t been embarrassed enough, she then went on to talk to his back ‘SILLY SILLY MAN, YOU GO AWAY’.

11 comments:

Iota said...

"she was merrily humming and talking about aubergines" - what kind of alternative universe do you live in, Elsie? No-one talks about aubergines. No-one.

Metropolitan Mum said...

That's hilarious. Did you find out by now what had triggered it?

Mamma Po said...

Kids are much more in tune with their instincts than us. I reckon we lose touch with our 6th sense as we age. Whatever her reasons, I bet she was right. I mean, he blushed right? Any normal bloke would have laughed out loud and made some witty retort or at least complimented you on having such a confident child. Clearly, he was a man with a guilty secret. And Betty outed him. The West End calls...

Elsie Button said...

Iota, aubergines were a hot topic of conversation that day. I was making a sicilian aubergine stew for vegetarian friends. and v nice it was too!

Hi MM, didn't find out what triggered it, but as Mamma Po said she was probably right, whatever the reason!

Elsie Button said...

dear iota, tom just said my reply to you was rubbish. i apologise.

Iota said...

TOM! You're right! You're so right! It IS Love Fool by The Cardigans, but my version of the lyrics bears no resemblance at all to the original - as you pointed out. Which could be why I couldn't find it on youtube or lyrics.com.You're so clever. I'm so glad Elsie married you and not the UPS delivery man.

But my version is SO much better, don't you think?

Do you two have a juicer? I bet you do. You're juicer types. If you don't, you should definitely ask Santa next Christmas.

And Elsie, no your comment wasn't rubbish. Just full of aubergine-talk, and therefore totally beyond my ken (ooh, get the clever post-vlog Ken and Barbie reference there...)

Beccers said...

Oh dear Betty, let's hope her sister doesn't take after her, you'll have two shouty little monkeys to take care of!

Sparx said...

Ha! Charlie takes against random strangers sometimes too. Particularly other children but often men.

sew hot said...

Our children are like us. The reason for this is so we can have an appreciation for what we put our parents through. Embrassment, anger and hilarious laughter.
So the next time she does something like that, when you get over the shock of the incident you can smile and reflect on your history. Be grateful for those wonderful memories. She will be a fun teenager!

March 17th said...

Hi Elsie - I LOVE the fact that you talk about aubergines ( I love aubergines ), Belgravia Son Number Two had 'a beetroot' on his Christmas List. I love your illustrations. xx

Anonymous said...

I'd like to get in touch with you about a product review - sunglasses for kids.

Laura@marketingzone.co.uk